Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Uncle's Mail 2 me when I said him, ' I started Drinking'

My Uncle, he has been a very close friend, an advisor and a philosopher. When I mailed him about my drinking activity, he replied me something which I feel is very helpful not only to me but also to those who read this blog.
---------------
Dear Chinu, 
 
I am rather pleased to note that you took me into confidence to confide that you had your initiation
into drinking.
The first thing that came to my mind was an advertisement put up by a beverage company in Europe, where a teenager was shown asking his parents " when shall I be 18 Mom?".Though an ad, it carries a lot of significance. Drinking at an age below 18 is an offense in those countries. So, one has to wait till one reaches the age of 18 to be legally able to take his first gulp of the 'holy water'.
 It can also be viewed from another angle. If one took drinks means  he has attained the age of 18- the critical age of adolescence. It brings with it freedom,  consolidating thoughts about and of life, a streak for adventure and more importantly, the courage to take responsibility for oneself.
You must have thought at lest twice before taking that great leap into the world of drinks.
So, I am not baffled , nor too casual in receiving that piece of news.

But I wish to make a few points here. First and foremost, drinking is not bad as such. Michael Jefferson, the second President of the USA refused to sign a congressional resolution asking him to impose more tax on alcohol. He thought he would be doing an injustice to the society if he prevented people from drinking. Philosophers, poets, literatures, artists have spent tons of ink and color eulogizing wine and its use. Lets not therefore attach any inhibition to it.
Then, what it is bad about it that people still love to despise booze? If you were to say this to your father, he would not be expected to react very kindly.He would start getting nightmares.Why is it  taboo for the society?
The problem lies in the use and with the users. They have created such glaring examples of ruin and devastation of themselves that the society at large is terrified for generations and has become stigmatic about it. Kingdoms have been lost,societies corrupted and exploited for centuries, pools of talent wasted and countless people and their families brought to the street because of the menace of drinking.

Strange myths are associated with drinks and drunkards.
There are a few facts as well associated with it.
*  Every boozer drinks his first as last and last as first.
* It starts as a boon and ends up as a bane.
* It is 'holy water', so also 'hell water'

It matters how you handle it, how you have profiled it and how you wish to go with it.
A person makes a habit of drinking only when he is not label  to make any other habit, As long as you retain your creative faculties, neither I nor YOU need worry about it.

But then I must remind you, it is a sliding path. The more you decline, ascending becomes the more difficult.
All this apart, no one can deny you your right to the ecstasy, fantasy and fun associated with drinking.
Prudence  lies in drinking with conscience.
My advice, therefore, to you is - Drink your conscience.

As long as you do that, you prevent yourself from running the risk of being into it, as you have said it yourself

Now, let me divulge you something from my part. All these inferences are not borrowed but heard earned.

Have fun

your
ACHARYA n

------------
Thanks Uncle.

2 comments:

Angry Ganu said...

Cheers to that.

All over the world drinking is considered a good social activity. If you go to any European country, there will be pubs where people gather for social interaction after a long day at work.

But drinking is like loosing part of your control. If you can keep limit on it, then great. But far too many people get addicted and the pegs keep on increasing. Like any other thing in life it is how much control you have that defines your drinking.

A Solitary Writer said...

nice post...oops mail!!!! :D

Happy Boozing!!!

seems I am drunk Happy Blogging!!! :P